After Annabelle was born, I started to get this strange pain in my stomach/hip/groin. It's hard to describe where it is, but I've since discovered it's roughly where my ovary is. Anyway, I figured it was just a post-birth thing and put up with it.
When I went for my 12 week scan when I was preg with Zoe, they found a cyst on my left ovary. They had hoped it would just sort itself out, as they sometimes do, over the course of the pregnancy. But alas no. So I was booked in for a laparoscopy to remove it. When they started the laparoscopy and discovered that my fallopian tube was actually all tangled up around the cyst. The surgeon started to cut the cyst away, but had to stop when a brown yucky liquid started to ooze out. Seems the cyst went in further than they had thought. So, concerned that he had somehow damaged my bowel, he called for the specialist to come and assist, except the specialist was in Wellington Hospital. So they had to wait 40 mins for him to get from Wellington out to Kenepuru.
Once he got there, they inspected the site again and determined that no, it wasn’t my bowel, it was just the cyst that was oozing. They actually pulled my ovary up and out so that they could untangle the tube and ‘clean out’ the gunk. Then my ovary was put back in to place. So I was under general anaesthetic for over 2 hours.
Surgeon came to see me in the morning and said that there was a strong chance that I had endometriosis. He’d seen some scar tissue on my uterine wall which would suggest that diagnosis. He’d sent the tissue away for testing for that and to be absolutely sure it wasn’t a cancerous tumour.
Test results were back in on Tuesday evening, not cancer and not endometriosis either! Yay! It was just a one in a million type of cyst that fills with blood.
After a few weeks, I noticed that the pain I'd had for over 2 years had gone. So I figured the pain was related to the cyst which was now gone.
About 3 months ago, the pain gradually returned. I've been back to my GP and was sent for a scan. Yes, there is another cyst, but no it shouldn't be causing me any discomfort because it isn't big enough. So I have to wait a couple more months and go back to my GP and then possibly another scan. If it's grown then I'll be referred back to the hospital system. Sigh!
I've already discussed with Chris what will happen if it IS another cyst, I'm going to ask them to remove the ovary. I don't want to be going through this over and over and over again. Obviously my "one in a million" cysts are nothing of the sort!
I'm only writing about this because I'm sitting here with a heat pack on my 'sore ovary' as I'm now calling it. And I'm fed up with the whole faffing thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment